Karen McCabe – Music tuition and music for wellbeing
BMus Hons, PGCE
I am a singer-pianist and songwriter from Windsor, Berkshire. I offer relaxed 1:1 and group Music lessons in the Windsor and Maidenhead area offering tuition in piano, singing for wellbeing, songwriting and aural skills. Alongside 1:1 lessons I facilitate fun and therapeutic group singing sessions. I currently lead a weekly session for Alzheimers Dementia Support’s ‘Singing for Pleasure’ and I facilitate singing for wellbeing at Manor Green School in Maidenhead, teaching classes and individuals. I run my own public group singing session called ‘Singing for the Soul’ every Friday evening at 5.30pm on Zoom.
My philosophy is that music is for enjoyment and healing. Everybody is entitled to enjoy music-making, not just the ‘talented’. It is very therapeutic to immerse yourself in musical practice. I myself am a keen singer-pianist and songwriter as well as a qualified and experienced music teacher. Alongside music teaching I am studying to become a counsellor, so am looking forward to combining music with therapeutic practice.
I completed GCSE and A Level Music, then went on to study Music at Cardiff University and graduated with a BMus (Hons) Degree in 2000. In 2002 I completed a PGCE in secondary Music teaching and qualified as a school music teacher, becoming Head of Department and working at this level for many years. As mentioned above I am now studying Counselling with a plan to combine music with therapeutic practice. Wellbeing and enjoyment are at the heart of all my music lessons.
Teaching and other experience
I have been running my own private Music school since 2015. I teach a large and diverse group of around 45 students, ranging from age 8 to 80.
Before this I had fourteen years’ experience teaching Music in secondary schools up to A Level standard and was Head of Music at Newlands Girls’ School in Maidenhead and at Drayton Manor High School in Hanwell. Throughout that time I have directed choirs and chamber groups for concerts and prepared solo singers and instrumentalists for productions and concerts. I also coached students through their A Level coursework recitals.
After leaving secondary school teaching I worked as curriculum Music Co-ordinator, piano teacher and singing teacher at a Preparatory School in Crowthorne so I have experience with younger children as well as teens and adults.
I have become a keen singer-songwriter in recent years and you can hear my recently-released EP “Freedom From a Rented Life here). Also available on Spotify and iTunes.
I facilitate interactive singing sessions at local care homes, therapy and specialist provision centres, where participating in singing has proven to be incredibly healing for those with such conditions as dementia, parkinsons, MS and learning difficulties. As mentioned at the top of this page I have worked with several charities and specialist provision centres local to the Maidenhead area such as Alzheimers Dementia Support, Sequela Foundation and Manor Green School.
- Piano lessons – Beginner to intermediate level and/or just for fun and therapeutic benefit. Early grade exams up to Grade 5 available if desired. Adults and children welcome. *Currently online via Zoom*.
- Songwriting and composition Beginner to intermediate level. *Currently online via Zoom*.
- Singing for wellbeing – 1:1 or paired lessons available. *Currently online via Zoom*.
- Therapeutic group singing sessions and Singing for the Soul! Vocal warm-up, gentle workout and stress-busting singalong, promoting enjoyment and healing. All genres of music from across the decades, singing ability does not matter. Public session every Friday at 5.30pm on Zoom. I have availability for private sessions with charities and care centres too.
- Aural and/or sight singing tuition – Beginner to Advanced. Most practical exams have an aural skills section. I help people of all grades and all different instruments with this aspect of the exam. *Currently online via Zoom*.