Karen McCabe – Music Tuition
BMus Hons, PGCE
I specialise in relaxed 1:1 Music lessons in the Windsor area offering tuition in piano, singing, composition/songwriting and aural skills. I also facilitate therapeutic group singing sessions. I am currently a facilitator for Alzheimers Dementia Support’s ‘Singing for Pleasure’ weekly sessions and I run my own public group singing session called ‘Singing for the Soul’ every Friday evening at 5.30pm. I teach 1:1 singing and piano at a local special needs school along with class singing sessions. My philosophy is that music is for enjoyment and healing. Everybody is entitled to enjoy music-making, not just the ‘talented’. It is very therapeutic to immerse yourself in musical practice. I myself am a keen singer-pianist and songwriter. Alongside Music teaching I am studying to become a counsellor, so am looking forward to combining Music with therapeutic practice.
I completed GCSE and A Level Music, then went on to study Music at Cardiff University and graduated with a BMus (Hons) Degree in 2000. In 2002 I completed a PGCE in secondary Music teaching and qualified as a school Music teacher, becoming Head of Department and working at this level for many years. As mentioned above I am now studying Counselling with a plan to combine Music with therapeutic practice.
I have been running my own private Music school since 2015. I teach a large and diverse group of around 45 students, ranging from age 8 to 80.
Before this I had fourteen years’ experience teaching Music in secondary schools up to A Level standard and was Head of Music at Newlands Girls’ School in Maidenhead and at Drayton Manor High School in Hanwell. Throughout that time I have directed choirs and chamber groups for concerts and prepared solo singers and instrumentalists for productions and concerts. I also coached students through their A Level coursework recitals.
After leaving secondary school teaching I worked as curriculum Music Co-ordinator, piano teacher and singing teacher at a Preparatory School in Crowthorne so I have experience with younger children as well as teens and adults.
I have become a keen singer-songwriter in recent years (you can hear my work here).
I run interactive singing sessions at local care homes and therapy centres, where participating in singing has proven to be incredibly healing for those suffering with such conditions as dementia, parkinsons, MS and more. I facilitate a Singing for Pleasure session once a week for Alzheimers Dementia Support, a Berkshire charity and I also teach 1:1 singing and piano in a local school for children with special needs.
- Piano lessons – Beginner to intermediate level and/or just for fun. To relax and unwind or to do early grade exams up to Grade 5. Adults and children welcome. *Currently online via Zoom*.
- Songwriting and composition Beginner to intermediate level. Online lessons available. *Currently online via Zoom*.
- Singing lessons – Currently unavailable due to the pandemic.
- Group singing sessions (Singing for the Soul!) Vocal warm-up, gentle workout and stress-busting singalong, promoting enjoyment and healing. All genres of music from across the decades, singing ability does not matter because you will be on mute. Public session every Friday at 5.30pm, private sessions available for charities and care centres too. *Currently online via Zoom*.
- Aural and/or sight singing tuition – Beginner to Advanced. Most practical exams have an aural skills section. I help people of all grades and all different instruments with this aspect of the exam. *Currently online via Zoom*.